Smelling Natural Gas.
Many East Mississippi homeowners use gas of some kind to run their heaters, warm water, clean clothes, or cook meals. Unfortunately, a gas fire at home is more common than you might think. These explosions may be caused by
- Improper installation of gas lines and appliances
- Defects in appliances
- Improper use of gas appliances
- Incorrectly turning gas appliances on or off
When natural gas comes into contact with a spark, an explosion will occur. This spark could result from something as simple as flipping on the light switch. If you notice the telltale rotten egg of gas or hear a hissing sound, there are several things you can do to avoid a gas explosion.
Know Where the Gas Meter Is Located
This meter is usually located outside of your home. Make sure you know how to work the meter, so you can shut it off if you suspect a gas leak. You may need a wrench to move the valve from its on and off positions. If possible, store a wrench so that it's convenient to use during an emergency.
Don't Turn Anything On or Off
If it's plugged in or uses electricity, don't turn it on. One tiny spark is all it takes to ignite the mixture of gas and oxygen. If you have a flashlight convenient, you can use that to safely light your way out of the home.
Check the Stove
If you aren't at risk, check the stove to be sure that all burners are off. One common cause of gas leaks in the home happens when someone bumps into the stove and doesn't notice that the gas has turned on. If the gas is on, turn it off and open windows to ventilate the home. If it isn't on, open the doors and windows and evacuate right away. Contact the gas company immediately.
It is possible to avoid the risk of a gas fire in your home, especially when you're aware of the situations that cause this type of explosion. If you want to know more about avoiding fire damage and keeping your home and family safe, reach out to local authorities, such as property damage cleanup and restoration experts.